Hospitals and other healthcare facilities are by nature open environments. They are also complex operations posing challenging security situations. To address these unique and often conflicting security demands, Criterion developed a separate corporate identity, Criterion Healthcare Security, Inc. Criterion Healthcare Security is among the leaders in the healthcare security industry for the following reasons
- Our people—we employ a diligent screening process, followed by comprehensive pre-and in-service training. Our compensation and benefits are, on average, among the best in the industry;
- A proprietary security platform, HealthSecure™, developed specifically for the needs of healthcare systems. We understand hospital operations from safeguarding patient valuables and parking lots to managing aggressive patients.
- Complementing HealthSecure™, HealthProtec™, Criterion’s healthcare violence management program, was developed to address the serious and unique security needs posed by ED and behavioral health units—the two most dangerous hospital departments for staff;
- Our commitment to train and certify all security staff in aggressive behavior de-escalation techniques;
- Our “Best Practices”, healthcare security program, which is based on IAHSs guidelines that Criterion uses as the foundation for all security operations and staff training curricula;
- Our extensive background in conducting hospital security risk assessments—over 30 to date;
- Our commitment to providing cost effective security solutions. From 2012 through year end 2013, Criterion saved one client $2.5 million in workers’ compensation claims;
- We employ a state-of-the art communications system—a web-based portal that uses mobile tools for invoicing, scheduling, incident reporting, personnel requests, and more; and
- Criterion carries the highest liability insurance coverage in the industry.
Healthcare Security Staffing
Criterion Healthcare provides security staffing in three areas: general hospital security; Emergency Department (ED) security; and Behavioral Health Unit (BHU) security.
Criterion Hospital Security Staffing Approach
- Security policies tailored to the hospital’s specific protection needs;
- Assignment of staff based on vulnerability and security requirements;
- Security operations unique to each hospital’s individual security requirements;
- Staff training directed at understanding the sensitive needs of patients, visitors and staff;
- Staff that are IAHSS certified;
- All Staff are FEMA, HIPAA and NIMS trained;
- Post orders for all shifts, posts and assignments;
- Criterion staff who are familiar with hospital regulations and directives;
- Ongoing monitoring by on-site Criterion management personnel;
- Staff IDs that are easily recognized and specific to each hospital discipline;
- Staff who are trained in Criterion Security best practices; and
- Ongoing and regular evaluation of security effectiveness and client satisfaction.